Advice to Freshmen

Last year in English, our teacher assigned a project called “Book of Reflections.” Each Monday we turned in a paper on various topics such as what some of our favorite things were, who we were, and summarizing our high school years. One week, I chose to write advice that I would give to incoming freshmen, and since I (and so many of my friends) will be a freshman again next month, I’m sharing what I wrote. This paper was written as if I were giving advice to freshman at my high school but the three points that I make are good reminders at any age.

As a senior with eighty days left of school, I’ve learned a lot. I’d like to share some advice based on what I’ve learned over the past four years. Time goes by fast, so make friends that you will enjoy school with, and say thank you. This advice may seem simple, but it is the three most important pieces of advice I have for you.

I remember being in elementary school, riding the bus home, and watching the high schoolers walk off the bus. I feel like I blinked and all of a sudden, I’m that high schooler. Each day seems to pass by slowly, but as I look back on my years at Valley, time flew by. Mr. Westrup tells his students to “be here now,” and trying to live by these words can be hard. There is so much to anticipate in high school. The only big events left this year are JSB, the senior play, and graduation. I wish I had appreciated each moment more. It is important to live in the moment because life only happens once. Your high school experience at Valley will be better if you fully enjoy each moment.

The friends that you make freshman year probably won’t be the ones that you finish high school with. This sounds harsh, but it’s true. I started high school with a group that excluded me. I changed friend groups my sophomore year but it wasn’t until junior year that I started spending time with the group who are now my closest friends. I was trying to please everyone in the group, but I realized that I didn’t have to be best friends with everyone in the group. Also, don’t be afraid to change friend groups, find a group that you can be yourself around. A balance of girls and guys in your friend group is good, but make sure to have time with just the girls, or just the guys. 
Finally, say thank you. There is so much to be thankful for, and I feel like we don’t say it enough. The staff at Valley work hard to make sure that the education we receive will prepare us for the “real world”. Saying thank you to others and letting them know that they are appreciated brightens their day. The two words are so simple, but very genuine. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Reasons I love Calvin

What Young Women living in the 21st Century need to know