Top 10 Reasons I love Calvin

It’s been about a month since school started and things are starting to settle down. Over the past month, I’ve been writing down the things I love about Calvin and thought it would be good to share.

10. Seasons

Experiencing fall and winter for the first time is so going to be so exciting (and so COLD)! I woke up this morning and it was 42 degrees. The coldest it gets during winter in California is around 50 degrees. I’m dreading the cold winter but I’ve loved watching the leaves change color. Michigan weather isn't comparable to the mid-80’s weather in California right now, and at some point, I’ll probably be really jealous of California weather. For now, I’m going to enjoy fall and the leaves changing color and be extremely happy to see the California sun in December.



9. Grand Rapids

Downton Grand Rapids is about 15 minutes away. I’ve been able to explore some of Grand Rapids through Art Prize, getting coffee with my secret sister (thanks Mars), and playing kidnap with my Quest Group. Cavin’s NiteLife program created an “Art Prize Amazing Race” which my friends and I competed in this past week and came close to winning. Afterwards, we explored more of Grand Rapids. We climbed 23 flights of stairs at the J.W. Marriott to watch an amazing sunset over Grand Rapids and the Grand River.


It was breathtaking. Literally.
I feel like there’s a lot of places that I still haven’t seen in Grand Rapids but I’m excited to explore the city more as time goes by.

8. Dining Hall food

It’s actually not as bad as I thought. There is a large enough variety to mix up what type of food I eat each day. My favorite breakfast that I’ve had has got to be a Calvin waffle with cream cheese and cinnamon sugar. So good. 

7. Free laundry!

Because who doesn't love free?

6. LOFT/Friday chapels

Calvin offers 20 minute chapels each day from 10:00-10:20. If you want to watch on Fridays, you’ll probably see me. I sit in the same spot each time behind the praise team in the choir area. I’ll wave to you if you let me know that you’re watching! There are many different styles of worship, themes, and speakers each day. On Fridays, the theme is be loud where we sing praise to God. It’s such a cool feeling to be surrounded by brothers and sisters in Christ for Friday chapel and in LOFT, which happens every Sunday evening. 

5. Opportunities 

There are so many activities to be involved with on and off campus. I plan to be on an intramural volleyball team starting in the coming weeks and love the different dorm activities such as dorm worship, dorm bible study, and floor dinners that happen each week.



4. Professors 

My professors love what they do and care for their students. The largest class I’m in has around 40 students but the professors still try to know each student on a personal level. They are all enthusiastic about what they teach and want their students to grow in knowledge of their subject and in their personal faith journeys. 

3. Classes

The classes at Calvin have been so great. I haven't had a lot of homework but was not prepared for the amount of reading that I would have. Since I’m in the education program, I get to take a lot of classes that are geared towards becoming a teacher. I love my EDUC 102 class—I went to a first grade classroom a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. It felt so good to be with kids again after working at a summer daycare. My Kinesiology class is probably my favorite right now. Our big assignment for the semester is to learn a skill, so I’m learning how to hurdle.



2. Friends

I’ve met so many cool people on my floor, in my dorm, and in my classes. I don’t really remember how my friend group formed but I’m extremely thankful for great friends. It’s very convenient to have my friends in the same dorm. It’s been so much fun studying together, going on Arby’s runs, watching movies in the basement, and hammocking in the solarium. I could write an entire post on my friends…maybe junior year.



Not only do I have great new friends, but I have been blessed with great friends from high school. Last week, we were able to figure out a time that everyone could FaceTime together. It was so good to see everyone again. I am so thankful for my friends in California and Texas and can’t wait to catch up again soon.

1. Calvin community

In the words of Pastor Mary, we belong in a community where we can lament together, where we can grieve together, where we can plan together, and where we can imagine a future that God has for us. Even though I’ve only been here a month, I feel like I’m at home. I have only experienced a small piece of the Calvin community but it is the coolest thing. I am having such a great time at Calvin and am so excited for what will come during the next four years. 

If you are still in high school, I highly recommend coming to visit “Fridays at Calvin”. I’ll give you some more reasons for coming to visit. But I mean, you’d get to see me so that’s like the best reason to come :)

Thank you for all the prayers, calls, texts, and mail. It’s been so fun hearing from everyone back at home and hearing from my high school friends about their college journeys.

I’ll see you soon California, but for now, I’m going to enjoy each day in Michigan.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Advice to Freshmen

What Young Women living in the 21st Century need to know